Lexus LS 2013
The new Lexus LS has been fully unveiled at a special event in San Fransisco last night. What used to be a big slap of Japanese reliability and not much else has been turned into a good-looking and exciting luxury saloon in the new LS.
Changes are drastic. The most obvious changes are to the exterior styling, where the new LS adopts the distinctive Lexus spindle front grille design, but the development of the model goes much deeper to include improved driving dynamics, better sound insulation and more sophisticated and effective preventive safety systems. The new LS continues Lexus’s development of its model line-up, following on from the recent introduction of the new GS.
The car gets hybrid and F Sport versions as well, with the F Sport being the most desirable one, featuring including lowering of the ride height by 10mm, Brembo 6-piston calliper front brakes and paddle shift controls.
2013 Lexus LS highlights:
- Numerous stabilizing fins help the Lexus LS to be one of the most aerodynamically efficient cars in its segment with a coefficient drag of 0.26.
- Laser screw welding, body adhesives and other structural reinforcements increase rigidity and enhance stability, steering feel and handling.
- New standard Drive Mode Select allows the driver to choose from 3 distinct drive settings (Eco, Normal and Sport). Vehicles equipped with the available air suspension add Comfort and Sport S+ modes.
- The available Air Suspension with Variable Gear Ratio Steering automatically adjusts the damping force for optimal comfort and performance.
- The available AWD system features a central, permanently engaged, Torsen Limited Slip center Differential (LSD) to further enhance grip, traction and cornering stability.
- Noise-reduction wheels channel resonant noise from the main air chamber to adjacent hollow areas within the wheels via resonator holes, resulting in an incredibly quiet ride.
- The Advanced Pre-Collision Safety system (APCS) can detect stationary pedestrians and those moving at speeds of up to three miles per hour and stop the vehicle from a speed of 24 miles per hour if a collision with another vehicle is imminent.
- Available Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) constantly monitors the distance to vehicles ahead and is capable of operating at any speed. The system can bring the vehicle to a complete stop, and accelerate away once the road ahead is clear
- An upgraded, optional Lane-Keep Assist system (LKA) helps the driver stay in the intended lane.
- New to LS, the Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) uses rear millimeter-wave radar to monitor the vehicle rear side blind spots at 10 miles per hour or more. This feature includes Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA) which automatically operates when the vehicle is in reverse, alerting drivers to the approach of other vehicles when backing out of a parking place.
- The Available Automatic High Beam system features a camera located in the inner mirror that detects light sources in front of the vehicle — including the headlamps of oncoming vehicles, the tail lamps of a vehicle ahead and street lighting – to automatically switch the high beams on and off accordingly.
- Enhancements have been made to the sound insulation for an even quieter cabin.
- Redesigned front seats minimize pressure peaks and increase support. Both front seats feature an improved standard heating and cooling system with larger heating and cooling areas and reduced heating and cooling times.
- All AWD models including the LS600hL feature a heated steering wheel and Positive Temperature Coefficient (PTC) heating elements which warm the front cabin area quickly after vehicle start-up. Windshield de-icer and headlamp washers are standard on AWD models.
- The LS features a standard Lexus Premium Audio System with a nine channel amplifier, 10 speakers, CD / DVD player changer, DVD audio and video compatibility, MP3 sound enhancement, HD Radio™ with iTunes tagging, and a three-month trial subscription to SiriusXM™ Satellite Radio. Standard entertainment and connectivity advancements include enhanced Bluetooth® capability with automatic phonebook download and streaming audio.
- The optional Mark Levinson Reference Surround System provides a 5.1 home theatre surround with 7.1 architecture , discrete circuitry, 15 channel, ML3-16 Processor Power Amplifier covering a frequency range of 20Hz-20kHz, and 450 watts with less than 0.1% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD).
- Available Power rear seats with Climate Concierge.
- An available Ottoman Seating Package with Shiatsu Massage and a Rear Seat Entertainment System featuring a Blu-ray DVD player, an SD card slot and a retractable, ceiling mounted, nine-inch full-color VGA screen.
- The inverted trapezoidal upper grille and slanted lower grille that were first introduced on the GS sedan have been combined and integrated into a single element on the Lexus LS to create a more prominent spindle shape.
- When equipped with the optional three projector LED headlamp unit, the LS offers all LED exterior lighting, including turn signals an fog lamps
- Lexus LS 460 F Sport features a unique front fascia with an enhanced three-dimensional mesh grille, larger cooling openings, black grille surround, and round fog lamps. A chrome-plated bar running along the bottom edge of the rear bumper accentuates the lowered center of gravity. F Sport exterior badging completes the look.
- LS F Sport offers six exterior colors; Ultra White is exclusive to F Sport.
- The dashboard is divided into two distinct zones: an upper Display Zone, with the large, 12.3-inch, LCD multi-display screen, and a lower Operation Zone, which allows access to system controls such as the second generation Remote Touch Interface (RTI).
- The driver’s instrument meter cluster incorporates high-visibility, large diameter Optitron dials; a 5.8-inch Thin Film Transistor (TFT) Multi-information screen; and an aluminum analog clock with a GPS-based time correction function.
- The interior is offered in 5 color schemes: Ivory, Light Gray, Black, Black and Saddle Tan, and a newly available Topaz Brown.
- Optional wood includes Walnut, Shimamoku Espresso, Matte Brown Bird’s Eye Maple. The Lexus LS 600h L also offers an eco- friendly Bamboo wood trim.
- The new, Shimamoku finish is an example of the finest traditional Japanese craftsmanship. Shimamoku, translated as “striped wood,” involves the painstaking layering of angle-cut dark and light shaded wood veneers in a unique process which involves 67 manufacturing steps over the course of 38 days.
- The Lexus LS 460 F Sport features aluminum ornamentation and a unique interior, featuring a black Alcantara headliner.
Filed Under: News
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.